Ingredients for 4 people:
- 2 onions
- 1 ripe tomato
- 400 g of Pals or other prime-quality rice
- 300 g of cuttlefish
- 1 litre of fish stock
- optional: prawns, clams, Dublin Bay prawns, etc.
- Finely chop the onion (do not crush it in a grinder).
- Brown it in a little oil in an iron pan (typical of the Empordà) over a low flame. Leave it until it is very brown (3 to 4 hours). If it becomes dry, add a little water.
- Once the onion is cooked, add the grated tomato. Leave to cook for about 30 minutes.
- Add the cuttlefish (chopped) and cook it. Add the rice and stir a little.
- Cover with the fish stock and leave to boil fast for about ten minutes. Add the prawns, the Dublin Bay prawns and the clams. Leave to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave the rice to sit for another 5 minutes.
- This dish may be accompanied with allioli (garlic mayonnaise).