Former Santa Caterina Hospital

Votes
12345

Active from the end of the 17th century until the start of the 21st century, the former Santa Caterina hospital is nowadays home to the Office of the Autonomous Government of Catalonia in Girona. The baroque-era building is located on the site of an old medieval quarter. Some archaeological remains from that period and other very interesting heritage in general have survived and can be visited today. The walls of the entrance hall of the Former Hospital are decorated with tiled wainscoting dating from the 17th century, of which about 157m (some fifteen thousand tiles) is conserved today. The work is attributed to the Passoles family workshop in Barcelona, which also manufactured the wainscoting in the Casa de Convalescència of the same city. The painting entitled Girona’s great day by Ramon Martí Alsina is on display in the former hospital chapel. This enormous picture (5.40rn x 11.90m), the largest painting ever created in Catalonia, depicts the city's fleeting victory over the Napoleonic army, in September 1809.

Contact

Former Santa Caterina Hospital
Pl. Pompeu Fabra, 1 (Edifici de la Generalitat)
17002 Girona (El Gironès)

Telephone: (+34) 972 203 834
E-mail:
Website: www.museuart.com

Twitter