Monastery of Sant Pere in Camprodon

Votes
12345

The monastery was founded in the mid-10th century by Wilfred II, Count of Besalú and grandson of Wilfred the Hairy. The present-day church was consecrated in 1167 and is the only surviving element of the monastic complex. The church has a Latin cross floor plan, with a single nave, strengthened by three main arches and with a slightly pointed vaulted ceiling. There is a semicircular apse in the chevet, of the same width as the nave. There are four apses in the transept, situated symmetrically with two on each side of the central apse. The presbytery is crowned by an octagonal dome, above which the square two-storey bell tower is placed. Given its simple and austere decoration, the church can be considered more representative of the Cistercian order than the Benedictine order. On the façade, the church entrance is noteworthy.

Contact

Monastery of Sant Pere in Camprodon
Pl. de Santa Maria
17867 Camprodon (El Ripollès)

Telephone: (+34) 972 740 936
E-mail:
Website: www.valldecamprodon.org

Twitter